Friday, February 20, 2009

PRD- Mental Day!

For the most part, I would say we all drag our butts out of bed every morning, willing or not, and proceed to tackle our daily tasks knowing that there is no other option. Same goes for kids, plenty of mornings are a battle of reason; You have a test, Its PE day, Your friend so-and-so will be looking for you at recess, etc. etc. until everyone is up and kicked out the door. However, you know those days, when even from the night before you mentally start feeling ill at the mere thought of school or work or whatever the next day beheld, you contemplate ways to get out of it without seeming too pathetic or resort to using the bold face lie, you fall asleep hoping to awaken with a renewed sense of desire. BEEP BEEP- as you send the alarm in to snooze mode for the 3rd time you know that its time for a PRD (personal recovery day) or a Mental Day Off- whatever you call it I am convinced that our bodies have a way of telling us when that day has come. I am also convinced that kids need a Mental day off, for the sake of all the hard working teachers, I say we as parents need to allow it. Of course they can't be kept home every time they say "I dont want to goto school" or perhaps some children would never, ever go...but to allow a once-a-term PRD is a healthy resolve...once it has been taken there has to be actual puke to stay home. I believe this is another way to help kids learn self-discipline, weighing the options and making the decision that this is the day I am taking off and why, knowing that mom won't question it. Earlier this year, in the first term, Andre had neglected to study for a math test, he called claiming illness about an hour in to the day, I was working and had to get grandma to pick him up and take him home. About 10 minutes after I had called to make sure he was home, had a blankie, etc. I got a text from him saying "I got away with it, I am home" I read it twice thinking ?? what ?? then it occured to me, this text was not MEANT for ME, I called his bluff and he explained about the math test. It wasnt until after this incident that I reminded him of his PRD and that this was a time when it would have been wise to use it- although wiser not to waste it because you forgot to study. There was no need to lie simply because he needed a day off to study- fact is I would rather he studied and got a decent grade than took the test un-prepared and failed!! Since then he hasnt used a day off to prepare for a math test-but he knows if he needs to he CAN!!

3 comments:

Libbi said...

Andre - you got yourself a good mom.
Ryan and Isaac love a good PRD!

Laura said...

I want one, but I would also like some magical ability to not be able to stress about my classroom, or have to stay home and work - some sort-of out of body experience perhaps....

nielsons*love*family said...

*I* want a PRD---who can i call? and where can i run to? LOL...

i do let my kids "hang with me" on occasssion...josh never wants to anymore (not me, i hope) just schoolwork is too busy at this point for him to miss school (he says--it may just be cute girls!)